Each season, a few styling trends emerge.
And what I find so great about most of them, is that they require no new purchases — meaning you can usually make an outfit feel current by styling it ever so differently than how you normally would. Case in point…
1. Switch up your cardigan: You don’t me to tell you that cardigans are certainly having a moment right now — they were spotted on practically ever street style star during NYFW. And while I love the cropped variety, usually worn as a top with a silky skirt, I also love it draped over your shoulders. No, I’m not talking the preppy way, draped over both though — I’m talking draped over one shoulder and tied underneath your opposite arm, a la this girl. Make things extra fun and pair some unexpected colors this way — mint green and pink, lilac and canary yellow, baby blue with cherry tomato red.
2. Cinch it: This trick is by no means a new one, but we’re just kicking things up a notch. Instead of just belting your dresses, belt over your blazers or perhaps your overcoat and try tucking a scarf or a fun stole into the mix. Instant dramatic dimension!
3. Suits with tall boots: I’ve been meaning to try this trick myself for some time now, mainly because I love how equestrian it feels. Take any of your matching suit separates, ideally a straight or wider pant leg and pair them with your favorite knee high boots of the moment. The trick? Don’t wear the pant leg over the boot, instead tuck them into the boots for a slouchy, unfussy look.
4. It’s a wrap: Take any of your ankle wrap lace up heels and wrap them over your skinny or straight leg pant. I can’t promise it’ll stay that way all day, but hey, could be fun to try!
5. Add some drama: My biggest tip for this one? Have fun with it. Tie a silk scarf over your head. Add a simple birdcage veil (super cheap from fabric stores) to your favorite hat. Wear elbow-length evening gloves for a night look. Throw on a faux fur stole. If you’re unsure of how to pull some of them off, my suggestion would be to keep the rest of your outfit classic and neutral.
And that’s it — any fall styling tricks you’re excited to try out?