You ever get in those moods
…where for whatever reason, you just can’t help but smile? It sneaks up on you almost, as you’re minding your own business, neither overly happy or sad either, and before you know it, you’re standing on the platform waiting for the 1 train, grinning from ear to ear, without a single inkling as to why? I like to think I’m a pretty positive, upbeat person as it is, but this is different — from time to time, this wave of uncontrollable happiness (gosh, it sounds like I’m talking about a drug here), is just too good not to share — if Holly Golightly coined the term “the mean reads” then I’d like to call this the “grinning yellows.”
And in the spirit of sharing love today (also taking a page from my girl Alicia’s book here), I decided to jot down 14 seemingly random things that make me smile, beam and/or laugh + cry happy tears (preferably all at the same time). Let’s kick it off, shall we?
- Getting text messages from my parents and seeing their progress with emojis and GIFs. It’s quite possibly the cutest thing ever.
- Watching any athlete from any country win a gold medal in the Olympics. It makes me cry, pretty much every time.
- Hearing Elvis sigh right before he falls asleep. It makes me wonder what he’s mulling over about his life.
- Discovering a really great song or band and then proceeding to binge it for a few days. Currently on deck for me is this Marian Hill song and this Minke song.
- Every now and then I like to pop into apartments available to rent in the neighborhood — just to imagine what my life might look like if I lived there.
- Hearing someone use a really great word in passing conversation. The latest? Ephemeral, meaning to last a very short time, which is fitting seeing as how I overheard it in a very brief, fleeting conversation near me on the train.
- Watching the scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts goes back to the designer boutique on Rodeo Drive to give them a piece of her mind — yeah, I can’t help but grin during that part. “BIG mistake. HUGE.”
8. An organized closet, which doesn’t happen around often these parts, but when it does, DAMNNNN, it makes me happy.
9. My guy’s accent and subsequently, discovering words or phrases that are new and different between us (he’s Australian).
10. Popping into old book stores. I don’t know why, but it’s the smell that gets me every time. I love it.
11. Walking around the city and stumbling upon an intersection where the light is that perfect, “New York” light. All my New Yorkers know what I’m talking about.
12. Magnolia Bakery’s banana pudding. Enough said.
13. A lot of my close girlfriends are pretty spread out at the moment, my best friend having just moved to London — but the positive spin on this is that I now have plenty of places to go visit regularly now.
14. The first bite of a REALLY good pizza.
What are some things that randomly make you smile? Would love to hear!